Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Interview: Carol Snow, author of Bubble World

Years ago, I was happy to welcome author Carol Snow to The Hiding Spot for an interview and to promote her novel, Snap. Today, Carol is back to talk about her newest novel (which released yesterday, July 30th!): Bubble World. I adored this new offering, which has an incredibly interesting premise and, despite the fun cover, touches on some serious themes and subjects!Read on to find out more about Carol, Bubble World, and the jobs that shaped her as a writer.
___________________

The Interview

Did you have trouble writing any of your characters or specific scenes within the novel? Or, were any characters or scenes particularly easy to write?
There’s a scene about two-thirds in where Freesia, the main character, sees Ricky, her love interest, in a different dimension from Bubble World. (I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll just confuse people instead.) At one level, it was easy to write because I’d envisioned the encounter from the very beginning. But it was a challenge to keep it raw and honest and moving. I hope I succeeded.
Has the title changed or stayed relatively the same as your novel journeyed towards publication?
The title came to me right along with the book idea. (Wish that happened more often.) However, the first draft was called Bubbleworld – one word. I switched back and forth between one and two words until I didn’t know which I liked better. We left the final decision up to the art director, who said that Bubble World looked better on the cover.
What book or author has most influenced you as a writer or in general?
I’ve been asked this question enough times that I should have a really good answer by now. But the truth is, I soak up everything I encounter: literary fiction, genre fiction, news articles, TV, movies . . . you name it. Every novel I read, even the stuff I don’t like, influences the way I approach writing.
What jobs did you have on your way to becoming a writer/published author? Is there a certain work experience that has shaped your writing?
Through high school and college, I had all kinds of random jobs. Among other things, I was a hotel chambermaid, a tour guide at a fire engine museum, and a secretary at an Orthodox Jewish summer camp. (No, I didn’t keep notes. Yes, I will regret that forever.) But my first job out of college probably influenced my writing the most. I was the assistant to the president at a company that made T-shirts with funny sayings. “I’m not opinionated, I’m just always right” -- yeah, that was me. Writing was just a small part of my job, but the business forced me to think about “audience” for the first time. Most writers start off writing for themselves, but at some point, you need to start writing for readers.
 If you had to pick a favorite word, what would it be and why?
Serendipity. (Kidding. That just seemed like the obvious answer.)

Bubble World largely takes place in a kind of alternate reality, I made up an alternate teen lingo to go with it: utterly, fizzy, noxious, scrummy . . . My favorite bubble-word is probably de-vicious, which can be loosely translated to modern teen-speak as “hot.”
My blog is dedicated to my personal hiding spot, books. Who, what, or where can be credited as your personal escape from reality?
For almost nineteen years, I had a fluffy black cat named Cecil, who was my security blanket, sleep aid, and writing companion rolled into one. Since he died last year, things haven’t been quite the same. I’ve been spending more time with my other cat, Cookie, but we both understand that it’s really just a rebound relationship.
Find out more about Carol and her books here! 
_________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!